Getting started with Majestic in 2023
In the competitive world of digital marketing, a strong SEO strategy is not a prerequisite, but a must. To assist you with this, a wide range of tools and techniques have now been developed. However, that can make it difficult to see the forest for the trees. After all, which ones best fit your specific needs? Your backlink profile is one of the most important factors for SEO success. Majectic SEO(1) is among the leading tools in that area.
In this article, I tell you all about what you too should know about Majestic SEO and dwell on its main functionalities. From assessing the quality of backlinks with Trust Flow and Citation Flow to analyzing link profiles with the Backlink Checker and Site Explorer everything is covered.
I also put the prices as well as other aspects of Majectic under the microscope, such as the handy Chrome extension and API access. Whether you are new to SEO or a dyed-in-the-wool professional, this article will give you insights to further optimize your SEO performance with Majestic SEO and increase your visibility.
What is Majestic?
Majestic, also known as Majestic SEO, is a software tool with the largest link database in the world. The tool allows you to perform SEO analysis with a strong focus on backlink profiles. In other words, you gain maximum insight into where links to your website are coming from and can analyze this in detail.
That huge link database at Majestic’s disposal is therefore immediately one of its most powerful features. The tool searches its database to see you of relevant data about the link to your website. You’ll discover who is linking to your website, the value of those links and ways you could improve your backlink profile to achieve higher search engine rankings.
Majestic offers two key metrics, Trust Flow and Citation Flow. These measure respectively the quality and quantity of backlinks to a website. Because this data actually tells you how search engines view your website, it helps you shape an even more effective SEO strategy. This is how you can improve your visibility.
By the way, Majestic is not only of proven use in analyzing backlinks. This tool also serves you when conducting a competitive analysis. After all, when you examine the backlink profiles of competing websites, you find out what link-building strategies they use. Using this information, you can improve your own strategy as well.
What is the cost of using Majestic?
Majestic offers several subscriptions with corresponding price levels. Each subscription is tailored to the needs of a particular type of user. Thus, freelencers and small businesses as well as large enterprises can use this tool At the time of writing, the prices below (excluding VAT) apply:
- Lite: for the cheapest Majestic subscription, you pay €46.99. This subscription is suitable for non-intensive use and novice SEO professionals.
- Pro: Majestic’s Pro subscription offers more advanced features compared to Lite. Consequently, its price is naturally a bit higher, at €94.99 per month. The subscription is suitable for regular users, whether freelancers or businesses.
- API: The API subscription, which costs $379.99 per month, is primarily intended for developers and companies who want to integrate the Majestic database with their own tools or software.
As I mentioned, the above prices were in effect at the time I wrote this article. Since these can fluctuate, it is always best to visit Majestic’s website for the most current price information. By the way, prices may also depend on your location, and certain features or services may have additional fees.
Majestic’s Chrome extension
Majestic SEO offers a handy Chrome extension. It allows you to access important SEO data and link information directly from your browser. With this tool, you can quickly perform an analysis of a Web site or an individual page while surfing the Web.
Once you install the Majestic SEO extension for Chrome, you get an instant overview of the most important features of each website or page you visit. For example, consider the number of external backlinks, referring domains, Trust Flow and Citation Flow. This provides you with lightning-fast insight into the strength and quality of a website’s backlink profile(2).
In addition, the extension also provides an overview of anchor texts used in backlinks. Anchor texts are the words used to refer to a website. These, in turn, also provide insight into a website’s SEO strategy and how to improve it(3).
Although the basic features of Majestic are always available, you need a paid subscription to get access to all the features and data. Nevertheless, as a trial, you can still perform useful checks and analysis from the free version of the Majestic SEO extension for Chrome.
Majestic’s Application Programming Interface (API) enables users to gain direct access to Majestic’s extensive backlink database and to integrate it with their own applications, tools or software. This makes the tool even more versatile and allows you to customize its use to your specific needs.
Majestic offers several APIs, each with its own specific capabilities:
- Open Apps: this API allows you to integrate Majestic data into apps, dashboards and software. This makes it even easier to create personalized SEO tools specific to your needs.
- Data Explorers API: this API gives you direct access to Majestic’s backlink and domain data. You use it to get detailed information about a Web site’s backlink profile, including its Trust Flow and Citation Flow.
- Reporting API: the name says it all, this API is there specifically for generating reports. You can use it to create comprehensive reports on websites’ backlink profiles. This can be very useful for analysis and presentations.
Majestic API is a powerful tool for anyone looking for a more personalized and integrated way of SEO analysis and link building. Remember, though, that its capabilities depend on the subscription you choose. So always check carefully what features each subscription allows you to use before making your choice.
The pros and cons of Majestic
|Comprehensive backlink analysis
|Requires some SEO knowledge to fully utilize
|Provides Trust Flow and Citation Flow metrics
|On the expensive side, especially for small businesses and freelancers
|Huge, constantly updated link database
|API access and certain advanced features are subject to additional fees
|Useful for both your own site and competitive analysis
|User interface is not as intuitive as that of some competitors
|Provides a convenient Chrome extension and API access
|Free version is limited and offers only basic functionality
With the above list, I want to give you an overview of some of Majestic’s main strengths and weaknesses. Of course, as is the case with all other SEO tools, their effectiveness remains dependent on your specific goals and needs. Something that is usually considered an advantage or disadvantage need not be for you. So consider this list primarily as a handle and do further research on your own to see what value Majestic SEO adds for you.
How is Majestic doing compared to Ahrefs, MOZ and SemRush?
|On-page SEO analysis
|Trust Flow / Domain Authority scoring
|Social media tracking
Key functionalities of Majestic
If you are considering using Majestic, you are undoubtedly curious about what its main functionalities are. In my opinion, they are the following:
- Backlink Checker: this tool gives you insight into each website’s backlink profile. It shows you the total number of backlinks, referring domains, and gives you a picture of overall link authority(4).
- Site Explorer: allows you to perform in-depth analysis on any URL, subdomain or root domain.
- Trust Flow and Citation Flow: These metrics are unique to Majestic. They serve you in assessing the quality and quantity of backlinks to a website.
- Link Context: in turn, this tool gives you more insight into the characteristics of the surrounding content of backlinks. This includes the anchor text and nearby backlinks.
- Bulk Backlink Checker: this tool lets you analyze backlink data from multiple URLs at once.
- Search Explorer: this search tool assists you in finding Web pages around certain keywords, including each page’s Trust Flow and Citation Flow.
- API Access: the API allows you to integrate Majestic’s data into your own systems.
Looking specifically at Majestic’s backlink analysis functionalities, I come to the following points:
- Backlink Analysis: it provides insight into the total number of backlinks and referring domains to a specific URL, subdomain or root domain.
- Backlink History: this functionality lets you see how a website’s backlink profile has changed over time.
- Link Context: this option provides context for each backlink, including the anchor text, surrounding backlinks and the general nature of the surrounding content.
- Trust Flow and Citation Flow: these metrics measure the quality (Trust Flow) and quantity (Citation Flow) of backlinks to a Web site. This way you can properly assess the value of each backlink profile.
- Topical Trust Flow: This functionality tells you more about the topics on which a website is considered an authority. It draws these conclusions based on the websites that link to them.
- Referring IPs/Referring Subnets: the latter provides information about the diversity of backlink profiles. It does this by showing how many different IP addresses and subnets the backlinks come from.
With this comprehensive suite of backlink analysis tools, Majestic makes it possible to gain in-depth insight into each Web site’s backlink profile. This information will help you make the right SEO strategy decisions.
Majestic SEO uses several metrics to assess the quality and quantity of backlinks to a Web site. Much of it is unique to this software. Below I have noted the most important ones for you point by point:
- Trust Flow: this is a score based on the quality of backlinks to a website. It measures the reliability of a site by the quality of the pages that link to it. The score is between 0 and 100. If a website receives links from sites with a high Trust Flow, that website’s own Trust Flow will also increase.
- Citation Flow: this score represents not the quality but the quantity of backlinks to a website. So only the number counts toward the final grade, which -as with Trust Flow- is between 0 and 100. The more backlinks a website has, the higher is its Citation Flow as well.
- Topical Trust Flow: this innovation from Majestic divides the Trust Flow into different categories based on the topic of the website. In this way, it measures not only the reliability of a website, but also its relevance within different topics or sectors.
- Backlink History: this shows the number of backlinks to a website over time. You can thus see how a website’s link popularity has changed over time.
- Referring Domains: this represents the number of unique domains that link to a website. This metric is important because a large number of links from different domains often means a strong link profile.
- Referring IPs: this metric refers to the number of unique IP addresses that link to a Web site. A larger number of referring IP addresses may indicate a stronger link profile.
Majestic’s backlink metrics thus tell you in detail about both the quality and quantity of backlinks on a Web site. This information will help you make more informed decisions about your SEO strategy.
Majestic SEO is among the most robust and versatile SEO tools available today. To both beginners and seasoned SEO specialists, Majestic offers numerous value-added opportunities. Especially powerful are the extensive backlink analysis functionalities, unique metrics such as Trust Flow and Citation Flow, and convenient add-ons such as the Chrome extension and API access.
Of course, you cannot consider Majestic the holy grail. An effective SEO strategy involves a combination of multiple tools and techniques. After all, things like keyword research, on-page optimization, content marketing and social media promotion all play a role. Moreover, you also need some degree of knowledge and experience to effectively interpret these insights and use them to your advantage.
Whether Majestic is right for you depends largely on your specific needs and goals. Especially when backlink analysis is an important part of your SEO strategy, using Majestic gives you a wide range of benefits.